Classified ads are one of the prominent sources for different kind of scammers to find potential victims. Scammers exist as both buyers and sellers on such platform. They can go to various lengths, to hide their true identity. Most of the times they impersonate Indian Army personnel So that they can fool unsuspecting victims.
We need to be aware of both of these variations of fraudsters.
Scammers sign up as sellers on OLX and other classified ads sites. They gain trust by reusing content of actual sellers, only changing the listed price, to ridiculously low levels.
They aim to lure potential victims with these prices.They also have a tendency of sharing fake receipts of courier companies, indicating that the product has been shipped.
Once a victim is found, the scammers trick the victim into disclosing private information. Or in most cases, the scammers ask for a pre-payment to be made. Finding multitudes of excuses to not show you the item/property/vehicle you want to buy.
These ads can be for anything such as used cars, bikes etc. These ads may include pictures and other details – often copied from genuine buyers.
The most occurring cases nowadays are related to Army Personnel.
In this case, Scammers impersonate Army Personnel and steal the money from the Victims by gaining their trust and making them pay the amount in advance. People are susceptible for this fraud as they generally do not question the Integrity or authenticity of someone who says he is from the Army. Scammers often produce fake documents to prove their identity.
Example Identification documents provided by Scamemers
(both the images are forged documents)
Forged receipt for Courier service which will be shipping the product.
1. Many fraudsters impersonate an official authority such as army personnel. They do this to lend credibility to their scams.
2. While posing as buyers, their items are very very under priced, more than any other on the market.
3. While posing as sellers, the fraudsters accept any price that you set on them. Without haggling in most cases.
4. They persist on buying/selling the item without checking it in person. Because they want to hide their tricks.
1. Credit / Debit card details.
2. OTP (One Time Password).
3. Bank Account Details.
4. Net banking Credentials.
5. UPI Id / PIN.